Skip to main content

Top 10 things you can buy with your FSA

It's March, so if you're like me it's time to freak out about spending the remainder of your Flex Spending Account before the deadline on the 15th. I always thought I had to spend the money on sickness related items like doctors visits and prescriptions, but this year I discovered I can actually spend it on more fun things or items I already buy!

So first off, The FSA Store, is a great place to do your shopping hassle free. They have an assortment of items that do not require a prescription or a note from your doctor. These are auto approved when you buy so it saves you the hassle of having to submit it for reimbursement. The prices are basically the MSRP you find in other stores so it is not inflated. It's also a good resource to browse and see which items will get approved. 

Amazon also has their own FSA/HSA eligible products page. However, it gets confusing because it is combined with HSA eligible products. 

Below are my top 10 products to buy with leftover FSA money

1. Accupressure Mat 

I actually bought this on my own weeks ago when I was experiencing some back discomfort and desperately wanted a back massage. I grew up with the concept of "guasha" so I was craving the comfort you feel from getting your back scratched to stimulate the blood flow. I discovered this mat on a whim and bought it to try out. It is basically a thin foam mat with white spikey discs. The spikes are pointy but not to the point where it would break skin. When you lie down on it, your weight is distributed evenly across the top so you feel gentle pressure on your back. It may take getting used to for some people, but I found it pretty relaxing and comfortable. 

In fact, one week I was experiencing insomnia and was only getting 2-3 hours of sleep a day. At first it was due to work stress and then I just couldn't turn my brain off. One night, out of desperation I decided to lie on this mat to help me relax. I actually woke up to find I was still lying on the mat. It helped me fall asleep! I've used to a few time since then to help me go to sleep and it's worked every time. 

This is the exact version I bought on Amazon:



2. Thera gun

There were a number of massage items that qualify for the auto approval for the FSA, such as the balls you use to roll out sore muscles. This immediately made me wonder if a theragun will qualify for FSA reimbursement. I have wanted to try the Thera gun since I saw everyone use it on instagram after they work out, it honestly looked painful, but a relaxing type of pain and I want it! The FSA eligibility language is vague and the FSA Store didn't carry anything similar to a Thera gun, BUT on Amazon it looks like it falls under FSA eligible. However, I must note there's no way to find out on Amazon whether the FSA eligible item requires a prescription or doctor's note or not so YMMV on this one.

I think this item is the next on my shopping list for this year's FSA and we shall see if it gets approved!


3. LED skin therapy

Ok, this item is a great one. Apparently light therapy is FSA eligible. The FSA store carries a bunch of LED facial treatments for acne, ranging from fairly cheap to hundred of dollars. I actually bought a Skin Inc Voyager LED light earlier this year. I submitted and it was approved!


4. LED oral treatment

Did you know you can also do LED light treatment for your teeth and gums? I had no idea! I found this oral LED from the FSA Store. It's supposed to help whiten teeth and cure gum issues/bad breath by killing the bad bacteria in your mouth. I actually ordered this dpl Oral Care Light with my FSA and am excited to try it.

5. Sunscreen

I can't believe I didn't know sunscreen qualifies for the FSA! I bought so many sunscreens this year for Chloe and kept none of the receipts. This is an everyday item I'm sure everyone buys but may not know they can deduct it from their FSA. I bought this pricey sunscreen to try out:

6. Fridababy products!

This is a must know for moms out there. I bought so many FridaBaby products since Chloe was born and I did not know I can use my FSA money for it! Specifically the nasal aspirator, the snot wipes, and the windi qualify.




7. Foot Massagers

Can you tell my body is falling apart? I always feel like I could use an hour long foot massage so I bought this Theraband foot roller from the FSA store


Foot Circulators are also available without a prescription. These are electric currents you send into your feet to help alleviate pain and soreness.

Amazon seemed to imply these type of shiatsu (air pressure) foot massagers also qualify, but again I think it's a YMMV item.


The eligibility list says:

Anti-fungals/pain relief products: Conditions such as athlete's foot, warts and other foot conditions that are a result of fungus or bacteria buildup can be treated by a wide range of over-the-counter pads, sprays and other topical treatments (WebMD). In most cases, these products contain active medicated ingredients that require a prescription for consumer-directed healthcare account reimbursement, but others such as wart freezing treatments are OTC products that do not require a prescription.

I guess a shiatsu massager can qualify as a pain relief product but without concrete examples it's hard to say for sure! The FSA Store does not carry this type of massager.

8. Lip Balm

Can you believe lip balm can be reimbursed?! As long as the lip balm carries a SPF of 15+ it is an eligible expense. If you're not so into lip balms by sun screen manufacturers, here are some more fashionable choices:


9. Belly Bandit

I wish I had known I can get this reimbursed a year ago! Maternity support belts are eligible items. These didn't really work for me, but if you are going to try it out, be sure to submit a claim to your FSA.

10.  Family Planning

This one makes me blush a little. Family planning products are covered by your FSA, which includes pregnancy tests and even condoms! 

Comments

Post a Comment